This project has been waiting rather impatiently to reveal itself. It required a handful of steps, one of which took weeks to complete. By the time everything was all said and done, it still was still not 100%, making the reveal less exciting.
It all starts with an idea. Never mind if it is any good, you have to start somewhere. From there the ideas build and grow becoming so wild you have to start reining them in. As grand as some of the things I would like to create could be, I do not always have the tools to do so. You have to then find what works for you, or make adjustments. The initial concern was the difference between height in the desk and the chair. I originally envisioned a drafting table with an adjustable bar stool. The only issue here is if doubling the table as a craft table, I would constantly have to move things on and off and therefore would need storage. For the cost of these tables it didn’t seem worth it for all its shortcomings. Instead I decided that since I wanted a drawing/crafting table, why not turn it into a project itself.
The foundation of my idea started here, with the legs.
Not only did they offer the base for my project, but solved my issue of storage with the added bonus of color. Super easy to assemble once you got the hang of it. While in the area confirming that these would work for my project, the issue of a chair for a suitable height (and price) resolved itself by way of a sale item.
This nifty little chair was only $15. Now although both items served their purpose, there were two things I needed to rectify before I went any further. The base of the chair and the handles of the cabinets.
The white and the silver were just not cutting it for me so I made a small but pleasing color change.
Now that I had my chair and my foundation I needed my table top. I had a few different ideas for this, but as I mentioned a few of them got a bit wild. Even after I had selected my material, I had to scale back on some of my plans because the reality of the size and material did not offer what I had pictured in my head.
This… is a slab door.
A slab door is a plain door, either primed or unfinished, with no holes for a doorknob or any hinges. They come in a variety of sizes and the prices vary by size. I don’t believe I paid more than $30 for this one. Some of my original thoughts consisted of staining the unfinished wood, but finding an unfinished slab door for this price and in stock seemed to be more of a challenge than expected. The slab door would become my table top, but as plain and boring as this table top looked, it needed my help and my touch.
I started off by drawing out some quotes in pencil so they could be easily changed if needed. I could have simply painted the words on, which probably would have taken a fraction of the time, but instead I decided to go the more difficult route. I chose to carve them out using a cordless hand dremel.
This is the part of the project that took weeks. The initial problem was finding the right bit for the job. I purchased a rather expensive one that was supposed to be very strong and good for wood. Unfortunately, this cheap little slab door made easy work of that bit and I started having difficulties early on. It wasn’t until I was nearly done that I bought a new bit, a significantly cheaper one, that happened to do twice as good a job. Sadly this was only the first hurdle. The real challenge was the battery power and the strength needed to properly chew through the wood. The charge lasted maybe an hour, then needed to be charged for at least 4 hours. At one point I thought of counting how many times I needed to charge this thing, but I lost count. Really what I should have done was just paid the price for one that plugs in, but the intention of this project was really to create this project by using as few materials and spending as little money as I could. And so began my endless journey of dremeling quotes on a slab door. Although it was obvious that only 2 of the 4 sides would be visible, it just did not make sense to me not to finish the other sides. If I were to move and the table were out in the open then it would expose all 4 sides, or if I wanted I could turn the table to show the different quotes whenever I choose.
I decided that I was going to paint the letters by hand still filling in each newly carved letter with gold to match the accents on the chair and cabinet handles. Because of the amount of time it had taken to work on the letters, I have to admit that my energy for the project was beginning to waiver. Here is where inspiration kicked in, and happened to be the best decision. I used the same spray for the handles and chair to fill in the letters and it only took a matter of seconds.
I loved the gilded edge effect, but it wasn’t what I had pictured in my mind so before I got too attached, I trudged on with the rest of the table. I chose to match the color of the chair to finish the tabletop and used a matte finish to give the same look as the plastic chair top.
This step also took very little time as I only had to do a couple coats of paint on the top and bottom and a quick sweep over the edges to finish the look.
And so without further delay it is with great pleasure I introduce to you my finished product. My drawing and craft station in order to draw and craft to my hearts content!
If you are wondering what all the quotes are, well… I can’t give away all my secrets, but they consist of books, music and movies. Disney, Harry Potter, Twilight, The Hunger Games and one Taylor Swift.
Stay tuned for more creations!